U L T I M A T E L O O N S
New Images from our 2017 Workshops!
Location | Cariboo Region, British Columbia, Canada
Dates | June 7th - 11th (1 Space Available!)
June 13th - 17th (SOLD OUT)
June 19th - 23rd (1 Space Available!)
Group Size | Each trip has a maximum group size of only 5 participants
Instructors | Jess Findlay and Connor Stefanison
Fee | $4500 CAD (All Inclusive) + 5% GST
Add your name to the 2019 wishlist by registering below...
Join myself and Connor Stefanison in the heart of British Columbia, for an exciting five days of nature photography! Using low, stable boats, we'll explore a beautiful lake to photograph its amazing assortment of birds. The highlight species is the regal Common Loon. Many approachable pairs return to this lake each spring and summer to nest and raise chicks. We'll spend calm mornings and evenings out on the water, photographing these gorgeous birds as they shuttle aquatic insects and small fish to their growing young who will often ride atop their parents' backs. Along with photographing the loons and their adorable chicks, we'll also spend time with the lake's multiple pairs of Red-necked Grebes and Bonaparte's Gulls. The action isn't limited to our time on the water - Red Foxes of the unique "cross fox" morph are numerous in the area. We will also have the opportunity to photograph the world's largest owl - the Great Grey Owl - which breeds in the area. Past groups have had the wonderful experience of photographing Great Grey Owl chicks at the nest grove, as parents deliver rodents and rabbits! Warblers, flycatchers, bluebirds, tanagers, vireos, woodpeckers and so many more also make use of countless acres of intact mixed forest adjacent to the lake. Exploring ponds and marshes, we'll enjoy close encounters with some of the most beautiful waterbirds in North America: displaying Ruddy Ducks, Horned and Eared Grebe. This area is truly a photographer's paradise!
During the rare moment when we aren't photographing, our beautiful lakeside accommodation will be the perfect place to rest, review images, and enjoy the spring weather.
Why choose us?
Collectively, we have nearly 20 years of experience photographing nature. Both of our backgrounds in biology have lead to an in-depth understanding of the subjects in which we photograph. Growing up in British Columbia, we have travelled extensively here over the course of several years for the purpose of nature photography. Our local knowledge proves invaluable in locating the area's wildlife and being in the right place at the right time.
Connor has lead private tours and group workshops throughout British Columbia. I guide nature
photography tours and workshops throughout British Columbia, Alaska, Costa Rica, Peru and Ecuador.
- Two leaders means you will receive more one-on-one instruction.
- Our workshops take place in a fun and non-competitive atmosphere.
- Many months living in the area have allowed us to be extremely experienced in locating the wildlife. This ensures that you are in the best place at the best time to capture the best possible images.
- We are committed to providing you with the greatest possible workshop experience.
- Not only does this workshop offer unparalleled opportunities to photograph sought-after loons, our knowledge of the area will allow us to photograph an assortment of other exciting subjects.
- Our locations offer tolerant birds, allowing you to exercise your creative abilities.
- Known for our unique, eye-catching images, we can help hone your photographic eye.
- All of our advertised images were taken at the workshop sites.
- We rarely, if ever, spend time photographing during the workshop, concentrating solely on assisting you, operating boats, etc.
- 5 days of photography
- Boat transportation
- 4 nights lodging
- Unlimited expert photographic instruction and guiding in the field
- Post-processing lessons, image reviews and presentations mid-day
- Boat transportation on the lake
Cost does not include...
- Transportation to and from the workshop from your place of origin
- Alcoholic beverages
- Trip insurance (we recommend that you acquire this)
Notes about the accommodations...
- We are unable to accept smokers
- Our lodging is a large cabin which offers both private and shared occupancy rooms. Privacy will be maximized for each group by thoughtful room assignment
If you wish to register for this workshop, please provide your details in the form on the right. If you have any questions, please include them in the message portion of the form.
To reserve your space, a non-refundable deposit of $1000 CAD is required. Once I've received your registration form, I will email you with details regarding how to send your deposit. I will also send a waiver and confidentiality agreement, which you will be required to read and sign. It can be mailed to me, or alternatively, copies can be brought to the workshop.
With the welfare of the lake, its inhabitants - both wildlife and people - in mind, the exact location of this workshop is revealed once the deposit has been received and a confidentiality agreement has been signed.